Sunday, May 19, 2013

Review: Lost Boys Sessions EP - Night Riots

Bearing a resemblance to the Lost Boys film sometime back (in title), there is nothing dead about this EP (not that the Lost Boys film is dead, vampires are however). Just a bit over 2 years after the release of their 2010 album, Into the Roaring, the fellas at Night Riots haven't slowed anything down. Now, I love Into the Roaring, it is by far one of my favorite albums from this or any band for that matter, but this 6 track EP, ranging from solid, fun, catchy and even powerful contains just about my favorite and best tracks at this point on the bands history. The added synthesizer I believe makes many of the songs distinctive from Into the Roaring, not to mention the fact that Hawley's vocals and melodies surpass what we've heard in previous entries. Complemented by the bands harmonies, Hawley's presentation of his poetic lyrics contain plenty of vocal range that I would also describe as fun, catchy, distinct and just down right impressive.
Similar in solidity, simplicity, and subtle-ness from ItR,  lead guitar hasn't lost its touch (no pun intended) and works well together with the synth in the dual combination of the opener, and a particular fan favorite, "Berelain". For some reason this song always reminds me of Halloween time or the fall in general, I suppose it just gives me that kind of feeling. Upbeat, fun, with a distinctive catchy lead synth, Nick Fotinakes lead guitar meshes together with it to create the instantly recognizable "Berelain" synth, and simple yet fun sing-along chorus, "Berelain" is the perfect opener to this album or any playlist at home or out in public. While this EP features a redone "London" from ItR I personally prefer the original, however, adding a synth, extending the song by a final chorus, redone drums and a change up from lyrics give it a bit of a different taste. From here the EP goes up with "Seawolves" "Chase the Sky" "Some Nights" and "I Know". All being on the equal level of great quality there is one that I have to hold up as the shining crown of this album, but I will get to that towards the end. Onward to the latter portion of the EP, ''Chase the Sky'', unlike the others this one has a rather darker feel towards it, a bit heavier, certainly not as memorable as the rest, but that doesn't mean its lacking on quality. Having resemblance to "Berelain" in description  "Some Nights" has the same distinctive synth lead intro, while having Hawley present some of the stronger vocals of the album in the latter portion of the song, (I mean STRONG, listen and try doing that), Hawley builds into the stronger vocals a few portions at a time,  though you can hear a taste of it in the backing vocals on occasion, "Some Nights'' is one of the stronger songs from this EP. Simple and almost appropriate, "I Know", though there isn't much I can say about this song, I can say that it is the quickest, shortest song off LBS. Simple, nothing too extraordinary  it's still a fun song, and even funner live (I realize ive used that word several times, count them up). Leaving you wanting more is an appropriate way of finishing this song off, and they know it (ha).


And last but by far not the least is

"Seawolves", though it took a bit of time to grow on me, when it did it became my absolute favorite song off this EP and of all time. Solid, right, and entirely complementary are the words I can use to describe the backing track, but the vocals, the song would mean a whole lot less without them. Beautifully crafted, superbly and poetically sung, romantic, and all with a chorus that really makes the song all the more strong itself that will stick in your head, the song starts with a spark and soars towards its grand finale and ending in a clean, quick and quiet exit. Here I believe is where Hawley's strong vocals really come out, especially in the songs climax,  If I had to use one song to describe this entire album, that would be the song. Dont get me wrong, the rest of the album  is well done, again their best songs are on this EP, but I very much consider this THE LSB song.

The Lost Boys Sessions overall is great on a scale from 1 to 10 i would give it a 9, everything about it is done very well and would be a flawless EP except for the London rerun. It's a good song, but it should've stayed how it was in Into the Roaring, but regardless its still a great EP and who knows maybe you'll like it, Check it out!
   
Listen to the EP here!
Buy the EP here!

Written by Carlos Martinez

No comments:

Post a Comment