Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Review: ИO​/​/​/​sé - S/T LP

The first time picked up this LP was on my 18th birthday haul solely because I was looking through the local vinyl bin at Salzer's and saw this on sale for $9.99 & thought that was a fair price. Going home I popped the record on my console and damn. They say a good band now a' days has elements of a handful of other "good" bands but damn I'm digging the surf garage rock influences. From Reatard esque' verses with major chord insturmental jam offs with the surfy leads stand-off leads.

ИO​/​/​/​sé Live - © Lindsay Beaumont 
Lyrically this album can be described as a, "FUCK YOU, I'M TIRED, YOU'LL NEVER UNDERSTAND, AND I WON'T EVER UNDERSTAND." The epitome of adult realization. Songs such as "If I Told You Once" & "Why Are You So..." fall in this vein of dependency and bringing you down relatable to the friend that fucks up and loses everyone as a leach and falls into a void of a inevitable depression. As Tear It Up would say, "Taking You Down With Me".

While other songs like "Own Blood" dive into the realm of one trying to escape from what they are but realizing they can't yet it's a constant question many of us have driven to after the indulgence of drugs/alcohol. " "Trust Issues (I Don't Get it)" is the big brother anthem with the lyrics "I don't trust no suit and tie. I don't trust no cops. I don't trust no handshake. Don't trust myself. I don't trust no optimist. I don't trust no hope. I don't trust no pessimist and don't trust the one's you love."T hese lyrics take the listener onto a 2nd perspective to see past the outer exterior, the impression we all amount to yet easily become manipulated and taken advantage at our blind ignorance. The B-side dives into songs about self-identity & our personal comfort, songs that tackle into hypocrisy/denyal, "fabricated" reality, and opening our eye's to who we are and the burdens we put and the desire we have to truly change who we are for better.
Photograph by Dave Fuller
This S/T LP by ИO​/​/​/​sé is highly recommended for it's jam TY Segalll King Khan Reatard esque jam with lyrics in the vein of a Fucked Up Screamers, "You're a fucking idiot" vibe. Check-out this first wave release by another gem from Ventura County.


Written by John Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment