Friday, May 10, 2013

Review: Ty Segall & Mikal Cronin - Reverse Shark Attack Album Review


Now that it's May and we're getting closer to summer, it's time to put together our "Summer 2013" playlists and mix tapes. In the summer I have listened to various artists such as Wavves, Best Coast, Vivian Girls, etc. But my favorite band to catch up on during those hot summer days is Ty Segall. I have been listening to Ty Segall for four and a half years. I first heard of them while searching through iTunes for new music (this was before spotify and music blogs came into my life and I searched for new music by listening to the 25 second samples on iTunes (ha-ha)). While searching under related artists to Wavves, I came upon Ty Segall's album "Lemons". The first song I heard: "Die Tonight". 


My mind was blown. As much as I love Wavves fun beachy feel, Ty Segall just blew my mind. "This is just really really really good noise" was what ran through my mind throughout my whole "Lemons" experience. If you like noise, the most gut-wrenchingly noisy song on that album is "Johnny". I wasn't a big fan of that song awhile back because to be quite honest it gave me the biggest headache, but after a couple of years I developed a liking for it. To tone down all of the noise is the last track of the album "Like You". The slow guitar settles down your ears from all the fast paced noise. In my opinion the song is a great way to end a brilliant album full of noise and goosebumps. 


During the Summer of 2011 I was stoked for FYF fest. I bought my ticket as soon as they went on sale. The line up was out of this world and Ty Segall was on it. I was extremely pumped to see their set. When I arrived at FYF fest I rocked out to plenty of sets including Title Fight, OFF!, The Strange Boys, and a lot more. I can remember getting ready for Ty Segall's set and trying as hard as possible to get to the front. Although I didn't make it to the very front, I was close enough to watch one of my favorite bands. The set started and I couldn't have been more happy. Everyone in the crowd was having a blast, crowd surfing and singing along to the lyrics. I danced and contemplated crowd surfing, but I wasn't close enough. When they played the song "Caesar" the crowd went wild, and I got major goosebumps. I took a bunch of photos and videos of their set with my little digital camera. After Ty Segall's set my friends and I stayed until everyone left the crowd and we giggled and said hello to Ty and told him his set was great. He gave us a smirk and continued packing up his gear. Out of all the sets I watched that day, Ty Segall was the most memorable and fun experience I had. 
(One of the photos I took during their set at FYF fest 2011)


A couple of months ago I discovered Ty Segall's collaboration with Mikal Cronin on the Reverse Shark Attack album. Like a lot of Ty Segall albums, I had to get used to this one. Now, it is one of my new Summer picks. The album starts off with "I Wear Black", which is a really cool way to start off the album. The song isn't too fast and it isn't too slow, so it kind of gives you a taste of what the album has to offer. My favorite song off the album is "Doctor Doctor". It starts off really fast and fairly noisy  It's a short, purely noise track that is one minute and twenty-four seconds of repetitive (but good) guitar chords and overpowering drums. The next song "Bikini Babes" is also one of my favorites off the album. Like "I Wear Black" it's not too slow and it's not too fast, but it's really good. I like it because it isn't so repetitive, it's broken down into different sections. Reverse Shark Attack is a must for summer 2013. I highly recommend listening to Ty Segall if you have never heard of them, or if you are a fan but haven't caught up on their latest masterpieces. 




Ty Segall never fails to dissapoint me.


Like Ty Segall on Facebook!

Written by Emily Charnock





No comments:

Post a Comment